Tuesday, November 7, 2006

My Wiki Adventure

My team has been lacking in collaboration methods. You would think that being apart of a large corporation this would not be an issue, but due to some extraordinary variables this seems to be a constant pain point. So, at my big bluish company we have a collaboration central which I do happen to peruse frequently to see what is new and if there are any cool technologies that we are "trying" out which would prove beneficial for the team. Earlier this year, I found two items which are newish to me and that I have implemented. The first one is a blog, an internal blog which posts your organizational particulars ect and then allows you to proceed in much of the same way you would on the blog you are reading right now. The interesting twist to an internal blog is the "how to act" part of the blog that makes it curvy to use this kind of medium.

The next cool collaboration tool I am using is the WIKI. I have really pushed this tool with first using it for a few things to get people acquainted with the functionality and as of last week I moved a lot of daily work requirement items over to this forum. It is used by everyone now for a multitude of items and has taken a very up front and center role as a communication vehicle on my team. The features of the WIKi includes: ease in adding new pages, range of permissions to groups of people or individuals, RSS feed which is really GREAT, the ability to add comments and the one that I stumbled upon which is very useful is a "search this space only" googlish search engine. One thing I really have to watch is the stability of the site though. It does not offer five nine's...so to speak, as I have seen it go down temporarily for 5 minutes here and there. However, I believe the advantages seen to date far outweigh any stability issues...at lest the ones I have encountered to date. I believe the "internal" wiki is a work in progress for our team...so they are always upgrading etc to make it better which is great. As more people use it the more functionality and upgrades will occur.

So, there is my contribution to using new tools in the workplace...well new to me and most of my team.

No comments: