Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Assignment 10 Concept Map


Well, it's done. The concept map that is. I struggle to no end doing these things. I think I should have stayed with the old mindmap. It was quick, easy and pretty neat looking once I got it done. I think I had it down pat...and even enjoyed writing the notes on the side. Now, my concept maps are just a glob of disjointed relationships that dont seem to want to work together to accomplish a true reflection of the chapter. Oh well, I have tried and for those of you out there still mind mapping...keep up the easy cheezy way...at least your assignments will make sense.

Now, speaking about exceeding expectations in terms of performance. This class is one of those classes that makes you feel like you are at work a bit. I do wonder if there is any relative contribution considerations made when you get down to all the great work effort put forth by a few top achievers. I mean isnt that the way the world works now adays? It is a scramble to the top...those who get lucky among the best of the best get the grade. Really though, when you are working for a company it is like a grade when you get that "exceeds" or "outstanding" result for the year. It is not a letter grade, but if it was it would be the coveted A+ or 4.3 that makes us all want to celebrate!

So, yes....it is that time again at work. My ranting does have purpose. The whole relative contribution, performance rating thing has me at odds every single year. Don't get me wrong, for all years I have done very well. The company has always provided me with a rating that I believe fits the overall work I have put forth that year, but still every year it drives me a little closer to the brink thinking about what on earth I could get.

Now, my friends will tell you that I am a bit competetive....I do tell them no, knowing full well that they know I do have an ever so slight tendancy ....so I know that just a tad of my wondering and hoping about the annual performance rating is that I really just want to get that "I did great things" result or ...win the 1! Doesnt everyone think they are grand though? I mean, you dont meet many people who will offer up during a performance rating discussion that they really did a terrible job at everything during the past year and they deserve a super low rating and please give me less pay even if they reallly did deserve both.

It is pathetic really..why wouldnt almost outstanding be okay? It has been for some years, but still when you work hard every day, do everything you can to make it work you wonder how you could potentially fall short. But...did you fall short? If you are lucky enough to get in the bucket of "maybe you did great" people...it really just boils down to relative performance to enable a definite "you are great" rating.....and that can suck...I mean maybe everyone is just "great".

I guess it boils down to this: Gone be the days where there are only so many outstanding people allowed in one organization.

In fact, don't organizations want a ton of outstanding people? I know, I know...it is the constantly raising the bar, which is a truly wonderful concept.

No comments: