Tuesday, December 26, 2006

It's been awhile.....

Well, it has been awhile since my last post, but I thought I would wrap this up once and for all. At this point the following events have taken place:

  • take home exam has been completed and yet to be marked
  • group essay has been completed...which seems like ages ago and yet to be marked
  • No final marks in either course I took last semester, but it is only a matter of time before they are posted
  • I landed the job I was vying for and consumed my thoughts for about a month
  • Christmas is over and fun was had by all, topped off with a glass of wine and a Superman movie
  • Boxing Day - today - has somewhat had a change in plans due to the potential weathering.....

I am sitting on my bed wondering what the heck I actually accomplished this year. I did get the promotion I had been trying to get for about 2 years and let me tell you it felt good to get it. However, am I really "better off". I always benchmark my year by asking myself "am I better off than I was a year ago"?

The problem with this way of determing if my year is actually better, which I am not sure if it really matters if it was or was not better, is that what makes it better seems to be changing. I mean at one point it was more money, as shallow as that is that seemed to be a good indicator that hey..things are going well. I must say the emphasis is less on $$ and more on the quality of my relationships both with family and friends. I guess I am becoming less shallow in my old age!


A few things I have tried to do this year was to spend more time with my family...you know the work life balance thing. I was semi-successful and hope to move more in that direction in 2007. It is hard because I am a pretty motivated and competitive person..yes I admit it. I want to do well in pretty much everything I sign up for. So, this year...sign up for less = have more free time = more work life balance.

Anyways, I guess we will see what happens. As we close the year one thing is for certain, I am positive 2007 will have many interesting twists and turns.

No comments: